April’s Potato of the Month is Setanta. A new variety to our fields this year, this potato is a great all-rounder perfect for roasting, baking, wedging, mashing and more. In a slight deviation from our generally healthy recipes, this month we’ve gone for something that’s a bit of a treat (emphasis on treat, we don’t recommend eating these every day!). As it turns out Setanta has a secret power, being one of our best chipping varieties. This recipe follows the traditional method of deep frying the chips but they would also be delicious in an air fryer. Remember, you can find this variety half price throughout April 2022 on our website, at our Honesty Stall in Tenterden, when you visit Steve at his London Farmer’s Markets and at selected Farm Shops in Kent & East Sussex (keep an eye peeled on our Instagram page for more details about where).
Preperation Time: 15 minutes
Cooking Time: 15 minutes
- Wash the potatoes and cut into 1cm thick chips.
- Parboil in lightly salted water for 5 minutes before draining and setting aside to steam dry.
- Heat the oil in large pan over a medium high heat (the oil should fill approximately 1/3 of the pan).
- To check that the oil is hot enough test it by putting a small piece of bread into the pan – when the bread turns golden brown it is ready.
- Carefully transfer the cooled chips gradually into the hot oil, taking care not to splash the oil.
- Leave to cook for approximately 15 minutes, stirring occasionally for an even cook.
- Whilst the chips are cooking place a piece of kitchen towel on a plate in preparation.
- Once crispy and golden brown gently remove the chips from the oil and place on the kitchen towel. This will help soak up any excess oil, you can pat the chips with additional kitchen towel to aid this process.
- Transfer the chips to a bowl and toss with salt and pepper (or any seasoning of your choice – chilli flakes and garlic make a tasty addition!).
- Eat immediately (once cool enough to do so) and enjoy.