Our final festive blog this year looks past Christmas Day to what to do with those leftovers from the main event. Hopefully you didn’t overestimate too wildly and aren’t snowed under with sprouts and roast potatoes but have at least some spare to keep you going for the next couple of days. We’ve decided to focus on bubble and squeak, a deliciously simple solution for using up some of those leftovers. The name is said to be a reflection of the sound this dish makes when cooking in the pan, that satisfying bubble and squeak of potatoes and sprouts being fried!
Bubble & Squeak
Cooking Time: 30 minutes
400g cold leftover potatoes
15-20 cooked Brussels sprouts
4 rashers of streaky bacon
1 garlic clove
1tbsp Morghew rapeseed oil
Knob of butter
- Prepare the ingredients by chopping up the bacon, crushing the garlic, slicing the onion and sprouts and mashing the potatoes.
- Melt the oil and butter in a non-stick frying pan and allow to heat up before adding the bacon.
- As this begins to brown add the onion and garlic and continuing to cook until these begin to soften.
- Add the sprouts to the mix and continue to cook for 5-10 minutes, until they start to colour.
- Once everything is starting to brown nicely add the potato and work everything together before pushing the mixture down to cover the base of the pan.
- Leave this to cook for approximately 10 minutes until it starts to catch in the pan before turning over and cooking the other side.
- Once cooked on both sides, cut into wedges and serve warm!