We’ve gone back to basics for our third festive potato recipe with the humble roast potato. A traditional Christmas dinner wouldn’t be complete without them but what’s the best way to cook them? There are so many variations on this classic that it can be difficult to know what to do. If you ask us we like to keep things simple, especially if you have a whole Christmas dinner to organise.
One of the most important things to consider is what variety you are going to use; get the right potato and it will do a lot of the hard work for you. You need a floury potato as this will give the fluffiest roasties, this year we’re focussing on our Golden varieties (Mayan Gold, Golden Wonder and Yukon Gold) as these all roast really well.
The other thing to think about is what you’re going to roast them in. Duck or goose fat are tasty traditional options but if you’d like a lighter, healthier and plant-based alternative you could use rapeseed oil. This has a high smoking point meaning it can be heated safely to much higher temperatures than most other cooking oils and has a much lower saturated fat content. It also has a slightly sweet, nutty taste which complements a roast really nicely.
Golden Roast Potatoes
Cooking Time: 50 minutes
- Preheat the oven to 200°C (180°C fan or Gas Mark 6).
- Drizzle some oil in a roasting tray to cover the base and put in the oven to heat up.
- Peel the potatoes and rinse under cold water. Cut into similar sized chunks.
- Par-boil for 5-10 minutes but keep a keen eye on them – Golden Wonder has a tendency to break up very quickly. You want them to be just starting to soften.
- Drain the potatoes and leave to steam dry for a couple of minutes then shake them in the pan to roughen up the edges, this is what will give a really crispy finish.
- Remove the roasting tray from the oven and carefully transfer the potatoes to it. Turn them to cover evenly with oil and top up with extra if needed.
- Return to the oven and cook for 50 minutes or until a golden crispy brown. Check them halfway through to give the tray a shake and turn the potatoes over to get an even cook.
- Once deliciously golden and crispy remove from the oven and serve!