Happy New Year! With the celebrations marking the end of last year and the start of the next last night many of us will now be deciding on our New Year’s resolutions (and hopefully haven’t broken any yet…). Whatever they are we wish you all the luck and strength to keep them. To see in a healthier start to 2019 we’re sharing a recipe for blue soup that even Bridget Jones could be proud of. As opposed to blue string to colour our dish though we’ve used colourful potatoes instead – a slightly healthier alternative we think.
Our naturally purple potatoes are rich in antioxidants and the deeper the colour the more intense the concentration. This makes them great for detoxing as they can prevent or delay cell damage and remove potentially damaging agents in the body. Anthocyanin is quite common in purple potatoes, a type of antioxidant that lays claim to a variety of health benefits including improved cardiovascular health, dementia prevention and increased longevity. Add to this the fact that they’re delicious and it’s a win win!
Blue Potato Soup
Cooking time: 40 minutes
- Prepare the potatoes by peeling them and cutting into small, even sized chunks and slice the onion.
- In a large saucepan warm the butter and oil and add the chopped onion. Cover and cook over a medium heat for 5 minutes to soften.
- Add the curry powder and potato to the saucepan, stir to evenly coat and cook for a further 5-10 minutes.
- Dissolve the vegetable stock cube in 500ml of boiling water and add this as well as the milk to the saucepan.
- Bring everything to a simmer and cook for 15-20 minutes or until the potatoes are completely soft through.
- Blitz with a blender until completely smooth and season if required. Squeeze the lime and add to the soup, this will really bring out the vibrancy of the purple-blue colour.
- Serve with warm, crusty bread and enjoy!