The weather has definitely taken a cold turn and with it comes jumpers, thicker socks and deliciously cosy recipes. This autumn I’ve been experimenting with soup recipes again and have gone for a cheesy twist on a classic. With the optional extras of bacon lardons and fresh chive garnish there’s an alternative that I’m sure everyone can enjoy. To go along with the soup I have also been experimenting with our new Stoneground Wholemeal Flour – the deep earthy tones of which lend itself to comforting recipes perfectly. These wholemeal oat biscuits are quick and easy to prepare and bake and never seem to hang around for long!
These two complimentary recipes can be cooked at the same time to make a deliciously wholesome and warming meal, perfect for the transition from autumn to winter.
Potato & Blue Cheese Soup
Preparation Time: 50 minutes
1kg Arran Victory potatoes
200g blue cheese
1 white onion
Knob of unsalted butter
2l vegetable stock
1 garlic clove
Pinch of salt & pepper
Optional: 150g bacon lardons for garnish
- In a large saucepan melt the butter. Dice the onion finely and soften in the butter for approximately 5 minutes. Crush the garlic and add to the saucepan, leave to fry for a further couple of minutes.
- Peel and cube the potatoes before adding to the saucepan. Place the lid on the pan and leave to cook on a slow heat for 5 minutes – make sure the hob isn’t too hot or the onions will begin to burn.
- Prepare the vegetable stock and pour into the saucepan, covering the potatoes as you do so. Bring to the boil and leave on a medium-low heat to simmer for 20 minutes, or until the potatoes are tender.
- If you would like to garnish your soup with a sprinkling of bacon fry the lardons now and set aside.
- Once the potatoes are soft enough remove the saucepan from the heat and gently blend the soup to a smooth consistency.
- Reserving some of the blue cheese aside for garnish, gently stir this into the soup allowing it to melt as you do so seasoning with a pinch of salt and pepper as you go.
- Serve with a sprinkling of blue cheese and bacon lardons as well as a peppering of fresh chives.
Wholemeal Oat Biscuits
Cooking Time: 30 minutes
Makes 12 biscuits
175g Morghew Stoneground Wholemeal Flour
50g rolled oats
2tsp baking powder
½ tsp mustard powder
½ tsp salt
100g cold unsalted butter
100g grated cheese
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (160°C Fan/Gas Mark 4).
- Mix the dry ingredients thoroughly.
- Rub in the butter and add milk a little at a time, kneading lightly to form a dough.
- Roll out on a lightly floured surface to 3mm thick and cut into fingers, rounds or squares – whichever you prefer.
- Place on a lined baking sheet, prick with a fork and bake for 12 minutes (or until golden).
- Serve and enjoy!