The festive season is here and many of us will be spending time with friends and family over the coming month, sharing food and warmth to ward off the cold, dark days. We’re going to be sharing a different potato recipe each Saturday throughout December with you to help inspire you to try something different.
For our first recipe we’re keeping it simple with the traditional festive staple, the roast potato. This week we’ve given it a colourful twist by using some of our exotic varieties to brighten up your dish. These particular potatoes are rich in antioxidants, particularly anthocyanin which lays claim to a variety of health benefits including improved cardiovascular health, dementia prevention and increased longevity. Not only do they look and taste great but they’re good for you too! We’ve also used our cold pressed rapeseed oil in this recipe which is a healthier alternative to more traditional cooking fats and oils due to a much lower saturated fat content. It has a slightly nutty taste making it a perfect addition to a wintery meal.
Festive Colourful Roasties
Cooking Time: 40 minutes
- Preheat the oven to 200°C (180°C fan or Gas Mark 4).
- Drizzle some oil over the bottom of a roasting tray to cover it and put in the oven to warm up.
- Peel the potatoes and cut into similar sized chunks.
- Par-boil in slightly salted water for 5-10 minutes, until they start to soften but don’t break up.
- Drain excess water and shake in the saucepan to roughen up the edges. This is what will give them a crispy finish so don’t be too gentle with them.
- Remove the pre-heated roasting tray from the oven and carefully transfer the potatoes to it, they’ll sizzle when they hit the oil which is the beginning of the crusts starting to form.
- Turn them with a spoon making sure they have an even coat of oil (you can add extra oil here if necessary).
- Return to the oven and cook for 40 minutes, checking halfway through to turn them and coat with the hot oil.
- Once crispy remove from the oven, serve alongside your Christmas roast and enjoy!